I fear that Missouri may have been hearing what I said about it the other day, and hit me with a stomach virus in return. Shortly after finishing my first blog on Tuesday afternoon, and guilt-tripping myself into writing some wedding thank-you letters, I started to feel a rumble in my tummy. The kind of rumble that makes you want to run home to mommy and ask her to make it go away. Luckily, it went away, and after finishing my thank-you letters, I played Wii while Dereck was off with buddies studying for a bomb school test. I actually was feeling fine by the time he got home, and we had a late dinner of spaghetti. This then led to me naturally having a craving for something sweet, so I told Dereck that the only thing that would satiate the craving was ice-cream, but now that I think about it, the wind chill was negative, so I am not quite sure what on earth kicked that off.
Now for a quick question: How many people know that there exist Sonics that are not 24 hours? St. Robert, Missouri is one such place, so we had to go to McDonald's, and I happily got a fudge sundae. To type that now even makes my stomach hurt. At this point though, I was still feeling ok, and helped Dereck run through a massive stack of note cards for his test, and then told him I wasn't feeling too hot. I am not one to get stomach sick. Ever. So when I woke up at 3am, I knew it was not a good sign. I floated between being sick and trying to sleep until Dereck got home around 1pm on Wednesday, and that is about the time he told me we were going to the ER. I think I told him something along the lines of "leave me alone" and "no."
So naturally, next thing I know we are sitting in the ER and the nurse is asking me the last four digits of Dereck's SSN. This is something the Army does. The sponsor (or husband/father) and his SSN is the way that you are identified for anything related to the Army. Do they care that you have an SSN? No! Have I bothered to memorize Dereck's in all three weeks of marriage? No! In fact I think I gave them my dad's SSN that I pulled from somewhere deep in the recess of my brain. The good part about not being able to hold down liquids and being very dehydrated is that you get to the back much faster than other patients. I remember thinking "suckas!" as they took me back, and everyone else just sat in the waiting room.
I did get to wear a hospital gown and march around with my backside exposed to the whole hospital staff while taking urine tests and such. Funny what things you don't care about when you aren't feeling well. Luckily Dereck was there with me for the whole duration, and I can now say that IV bags take forever to empty- they made me finish two of them! Somewhere between sleeping and asking Dereck very non-coherent questions, the nurse asked if I could be pregnant. And I said heck no! And Dereck then admits that he looked up morning sickness before appendicitis on WebMD when deciding whether to take me to the ER. That's right, Dereck checked to see if I was pregnant before he checked whether my insides where ballooning up to the point of explosion. I would have punched him for this, had I had any strength left in my little arm. Happily, I can now say that I am not pregnant, in case you might be wondering, and don't plan to be for a good while. I also woke up at one point during the sick days, looked at Dereck on the couch, looked at the clock that said 8:30, and then asked him if it was am or pm. I honestly had no idea, and he would have been at school had it been 8:30am, so I am not sure where that came from in my brain, but at the moment it seemed like a very valid question.
Since the exciting trip to the ER I came back home and slept, and then stayed awake for a grand total of 2 hours yesterday, and missed the entire national championship game. Luckily my mom and Lydia called while I was awake yesterday, but I cannot vouch for any coherency on my part. Even today I still feel pretty groggy and should probably not be writing my blog in such a condition. So there. Even though spaghetti and fudge sundaes might be on the "do not eat list" for a good while, I do know that Dereck is taking his vows seriously in the whole sickness and health thing. Today I have showered, cleaned the kitchen, done some laundry, and written here, and to me that is way more than I can say for the previous two days. Now I am thinking a nap sounds like heaven, but I plan on making it shorter than the earlier ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment